- A common mistake of a beginning researcher is: (Choose all the correct answers)Selecting a topic that is too broad or narrowOver reliance on the course syllabusUsing only electronic sourcesSelecting a controversial subject
- Business databases are online collections of thousands of:
- market research reports
- company and industry financials
- SWOT analyses
- Free access to otherwise expensive information,
- Immediate online access to articles from thousands of scholarly journals and business publications, and
- Features that allow you to save, export, and share data, charts, and graphs
Mergent IntellectValue LinePsyc InfoRegional Business News
- TRADE PUBLICATIONS: One of the best ways to find information on an industry is to look for trade publications. Articles in trade publications (such as Automotive News, Beverage World, and Institutional Investor and others displayed above) are written for readers who work in that industry. Trade publications feature articles, ads, special reports, and more on industries, companies, executives, consumers, and business trends. Since these publications are so specialized, they are likely to address a variety of issues, viewpoints, and perspectives related to the subject matter. Most common trade publications have good reputations with experts in the industry and provide verifiable, trustworthy information.Select the answer that best describes trade journals:Trade journals are written by experts, but these are usually not people with PhDs who are working in academia; instead, they are experts who are employed in the trade or professionTrade journals are written for experts, but again, the readers are not necessarily scholars; they are individuals working in that trade or professionTrade journals are not peer reviewed or editorially reviewed; instead, they are more like magazines in that they have editors.Trade journals are considered scholarly.
- Scholarly sources are:
- written by scholars, experts with advanced degrees in the subject area,
- written for scholars, which means the author(s) will cover advanced, complex content in the common language of that discipline,
- peer reviewed, or editorially reviewed [See below.]
- Descriptors are terms used by each database to “officially” label a particular concept. This is referred to as a controlled vocabulary. Descriptors are also known as subject terms.Descriptors used by a particular database can be found in that database’s Thesaurus or Subject Terms Lookup.Suppose you wanted to locate research articles on women in business. Use the library database Business Source Utimate to find out what the official subject term is for this topic. Select the best answerBUSINESSWOMENENTREPRENEURSHIPBUSINESSPEOPLEFEMALE
- Sometimes you need to search the Web because it is the best place to find certain kinds of information sources, especially gray literature and primary sources. Some examples include:
- government documents
- digitized primary sources from museums, historical societies, and other cultural institutions
- annual reports and white papers from corporations, non-profit organizations and NGOs
- and more.
- scholarly articles
- conference papers
- case law
- U.S. patents (if you choose to include them)
Employee Responsibilities and Rights JournalMarshall Journal of Information Technology & PrivacyManagement Communication QuarterlyJournal of Business Ethics
- Company information is also available in many of our databases. Some provide history and financials, others give market share, SWOT analysis, and still others provide newspaper and magazine articles. Although there may be some duplication of information between databases, each database may provide information in a way the others do not.Mergent Intellect, formerly Hoover’s, includes information on both public and private U.S. companies, Canadian companies, and international companies. It also contains a residential database, company executive biographies, industry information, and a job search database of U.S. and Canadian employers.The Mergent Intellect interface enables users to look-up specific companies or people and to build lists of companies that meet certain criteria (location, size, annual sales, number of employees, industry code). Use the Help guide to discover all the features Mergent Intellect provides for business researchers, job seekers and working professionals. When doing business research, it is useful to obtain the NAICS codes and SIC codes. For this question you are asked to identify the NAICS code for the local company, W. L. Gore.
Click on the link for Mergent Intellect and search for the Newark, DE – based private company, W.L. Gore. Identify this company’s primary NAICS code from the list of possible answers.33570100 : Communication wire335921 : Fiber Optic Cable ManufacturingSurgical and medical instruments 3841
- Now perform a search in Mergent Intellect for another local company – Under Armour. This company is based in Baltimore, MD and manufactures performance athletic clothing and technology. Go to the Industry Details section and click on the First Search Industry Report for 315990. This icon is just to the right of the NAICS code. Once you have opened the report, scroll down to the “Critical Issues” section. Select two of the issues faced by companies in the Apparel Accessories Manufacturing industry.Dependence on Consumer IncomeDependent on Consumer TastesRisks of Foreign SourcingMore Foreign Suppliers Sell Directly
- A SWOT analysis is an analysis of the internal and external environment of a company, organization, or nonprofit. SWOT analyses are used to create strategic business plans.External environmental factors are typically considered to either be Opportunities or Threats, whereas Internal factors are generally classified as Strengths or Weaknesses.The four factors together (Strength + Weaknesses + Opportunities + Threats) make up a SWOT analysis. Check out this video for more info. Look here for info about searching for SWOT reports in Business Source Ultimate.The library database, Business Source Ultimate, provides many SWOT reports. Use this database to locate the SWOT analysis for Under Armour, Inc. Once you have located the report answer the below matching exercise.
– A. B. C. D. Threat – A. B. C. D. Opportunity – A. B. C. D. Strength – A. B. C. D. WeaknessA.Rising labor wages in the USB.Growing US apparel marketC.Multi-channel approachD.Dependence on third-party suppliers and manufacturers
- Earlier you searched for the NAICS code for Under Armour Inc. This is one of the codes assigned to this company:315990 Apparel Accessories and Other Apparel ManufacturingUse Business Source Ultimate to locate articles about this industry. Be sure to change the search field to IC NAICS Code or Description. From the result list, open the article entitled, What We Love Most This Month published in the January 2017 issue of PC Magazine. Answer this True/False question:One of the reviewed products was manufactured by Under Armour, Inc.
- At the recent 2017 International Consumer Electronics Show, Under Armour announced their newest product, high tech pajamas that help you sleep better. According to a description provided by Under Armour, “The pattern lining the garments includes special bioceramic particles that absorb infrared wavelengths emitted by the body and reflect back Far Infrared, helping the body recover faster while promoting better sleep.” This is a very bold claim and requires some checking. Take a look at what Wikipedia has to say about this “Far Infrared” technology. You can see there are several references to the research in this area. For this question, use the Resources in your library link (example below) to see if the Wilmington University Library provides access to some scholarly resources on this topic.
Based on the results, does the library provide access to scholarly resources on the topic of “Far Infrared?”YesNo
- Watch VideoYouTube- Fed Ex Stolen Idea – Captioned.wmv
User: n/a – Added: 9/28/10Proper citation is necessary for a number of reasons. When you cite resources, you demonstrate that you understand and adhere to the practices of scholarly culture. Because of this, your work is more likely to be taken seriously by members within the field. Citation allows you to demonstrate that you are building upon information and contributing to the larger conversation of scholarship. Without crediting the author, it is as though you are saying that your voice is the only voice on the subject. Experts within the field are typically knowledgeable about current research. It is likely that if you choose not to cite an idea, someone will notice.Citation also provides background information for your audience by offering them a path to follow should they choose to research your topic further or examine your sources in order to determine their point of view. Bibliographies or references found at the end of a document help to point the reader in the direction of further resources.The process of sharing information through research is the conversation of scholarship. As you form new ideas based on the information you learn from experts, you contribute to the ongoing conversation on a particular topic.Select the following elements of why citing is important
demonstrates that you are building upon and contributing to the larger conversation of scholarshipprovides background information for your readersallows the reader to examine your sourcesall of the above
- What information was the most useful?
- Was there additional information that you would like us to cover?
- What could be done to make this session more useful or relevant to you?
- Do you have any additional comments or suggestions?
Do you have a similar assignment and would want someone to complete it for you? Click on the ORDER NOW option to get instant services at essayloop.com
Do you have a similar assignment and would want someone to complete it for you? Click on the ORDER NOW option to get instant services at essayloop.com. We assure you of a well written and plagiarism free papers delivered within your specified deadline.