research, include alternative methods of establishing, justifying, accomplishing, and evaluating work measures. Within the papers evaluate and discuss your plans for growing the organization.
Research Question: Chicago Fire Department
Describe how the role of the emergency service manager is changing and what new skills and knowledge will current and future managers need to be successful.
write in your own words, no copy-paste no Plagiarism.
the file will help
Chicago Fire Department
Describe the organization
The Chicago Fire department has a number of functions which include; promoting fire safety, providing emergency care and lastly it is knowns for extinguishing fires. The mission statement of CFD is to protect the lives and property of the people of Chicago when they are put at risk due to fires, natural disasters, emergency medical problems and hazardous materials incidents. CFD is described as the largest fire department in the whole of Midwest. It is also known as one of the largest fire department across the United States. This is one of the oldest fire departments that was established more than a century ago in fact the fire department was established in 1833. The fire department has been recognized for a number of fire incidences and the great fire which distinguished CFD was the Great Chicago Fire that occurred to the city of Chicago on October 8, 1871.
CFD has been developed in terms of the organization for a long time more so having been described as an administrative agency. There are two types of management approaches that can be undertaken with regards to the management of the fire department. The management approaches are; Traditional management approach and The new public management approach. The traditional management approach is described as a regimented approach which is impersonal. This management approach is being abandoned by many and taking up the New management approach which is based on predicting better the future responses and scientific application of determining the budgeting system. It also focuses on establishing a working criteria for the determination of the public management system for the establishment of better operational outcomes of the departments. Some of the key areas in the New management approach is the development of emergency management system, training, public safety and equipment and or apparatus (City Of Chicago”, 2021).
In the new management system of the CFD, there are a number of bureaus. They have been organized into four bureaus which include; Bureau of Operations, Bureau of Administrative Services, Bureau of Logistics and Bureau of Fire Prevention. Each of the Bureaus are led by the 1st Deputy Fire Commissioner and this is almost like a second in command. Each of them reports to the fire commissioner.
- Bureau of Operations: this is the largest Bureau within then CFD. This Bureau commands a number of divisions including; Fire Suppression & Rescue, Emergency Medical Services (EMS), Special Operations Command, and the Office of Fire Investigation (OFI). Within this Bureau, there are more than 4500 officers commanded here.
- Bureau of Administrative Services: The administrative services carried out a number of operations and does command photo unit, training and personnel.
- Bureau of Logistics: this is a Bureau which is in charge of the logistics within the CFD. The divisions include the following; labor relations, Pensions board, support logistics and equipment, records, employee management, staff and employee relations, management of technology within the company and Building and property management.
- Bureau of Fire Prevention: this does commands the following divisions; Code Compliance and Inspections and it is commanded by the deputy Fire commissioner.
Goals applicable to CFD
The achievement of all the applicable goals and the CFD’s vision has been supported by a number of strategies. The strategies include the following which have been compiled to give an outlook of the key strengths of the organization.
- The department is designed as an appropriate size having an appropriate number of allocations for various departments. The department has made an allocation to the Bureaus and more of the allocation are focused on prevention systems. Some of the key operations which have been applied in the organization include; EMS, special operation functions, and some other key functions within the organization that includes training and communications.
- The fire department has an elaborate management chart. The organization chart is such that the management of the fire department has been structured to include the governance by Bureaus and management by divisions. Each Bureau has been allocated a specific number of divisions which are to be managed. The operations have been simplified by having one deputy commissioner of fire manage the Bureau and they in turn report to the commissioner of fire.
- The supervisory role of the management has been heightened and improved in the organization. Within all the levels of the operation, there has been a heightened and tightened supervision of all actions within and without the organization. The supervisors are highly trained on their supervisory requirement and their role in their direct supervision. The technical competence of the CFD has been enhanced. The conflict resolution strategies have also been enhanced between the organization and members of staff. There should be a routine rotation of the supervisors in order to have the employees get various experiences. The willingness to have the promotion of all the staff is based on the competence of the officers.
- The layers of management have been streamlined in the sense that the commissioners of fire have their assistants following them and reporting to them. The deputy commissioners of fire are the key aspects in the sense that they lead through the various bureaus. The supervisory issues within the fire department have been operationalized and worked on through a system of supervision.
- The communication systems of the organization have been organized to have all the members of the CFD communicated to through a system of communication. Specifically, the fire department communication occurs through newsletters to employees and all the stakeholders within the department.
In conclusion, the Chicago fire department has worked in a number of ways to achieve its key mandate in providing protection systems. The fire department has various accomplishments that have been notable over the years. It is ranked as one of the major fire departments across the United states and works to distinguish itself through operation systems. The organization has a robust system of management and has a logical flow of chart indicating the monument operations of the fire department. In this regards, one of the key contributors to the success is the ease of management and inclusion of supervisions within the management strategy.
City of Chicago (2021) Retrieved from City of Chicago
Chicago Fire Fighters Union 2 (2021) Chicago Fire Fighters Union 2 retrieved from http://iaff2.org/index.cfm?section=1
Do you have a similar assignment and would want someone to complete it for you? Click on the ORDER NOW option to get instant services at essayloop.com