In your RWS 305W class this semester you have read and discussed four texts concerning observations of the labor market in general and the workplace in particular. These readings, intended to provide sociocultural filters through which the work place can be viewed and evaluated, include the following:
- “The “Three Jobs of the Future,” by Robert Reich (in the course reader available from the Aztec bookstore)
- “The Big Earners and the Big Losers,” by Tyler Cowen (in the course reader available from the Aztec bookstore)
- “Serving in Florida,” by Barbara Ehrenreich (in the course reader available from the Aztec bookstore)
- “Class in America—2012,” by Gregory Mantsios (in the course reader available from the Aztec bookstore)
1. Read “The Three Jobs of the Future,” by Robert Reich.
2. Write an analysis of Reich’s chapter, making sure you cover all the following questions, although not necessarily in the order they appear here.
- Introduce Reich and title of his chapter. Describe briefly what the chapter is about and explain Reich’s purpose in writing it.
- What is Reich’s main claim—stated in your own words? What reasons does he give to support this claim?
- Who is Reich’s audience?
- What does Reich want the audience to do or feel as a result of reading this chapter (for example: change their minds/opinions, vote in a certain way, broaden their understanding of a subject, give money to a cause, take some other action?)
- Explain the rhetorical situation/context/larger discussion of Reich’s topic: the diversity and changing nature of the global labor market and its influence on the American work place. What are the key concerns regarding this issue? Use the other chapters you have read in class to help you understand the context of this topic as you explain each of the other authors’ claims, the supporting ideas they use to develop their arguments, and how their arguments relate to Reich’s arguments.
- Identify at least two (2) rhetorical techniques/strategies/appeals Reich uses to persuade his intended audience. Provide examples from his chapter and explain why he uses these strategies. Does he more heavily rely on one type of technique over others? Why does he do this?
3. In the second part of your rhetorical analysis paper evaluate the extent to which all four of these readings have influenced your views about the diversity and changing nature of the global labor market and its influence on the American work place. Evaluate the credibility and sufficiency of the evidence used to support each argument as you address the following questions:
- How have your views changed as a result of reading these chapters?
- Which argument(s) most influenced your views?
- Do not simply talk about how you feel about the American labor market. You must explain your views in reference to how they have been influenced by the arguments and information in the readings.
Length: The paper should be 4-6 pages, double-spaced Times New Roman Size 12 Font Double-Spaced
Due Date: Refer to the class assignment shcdule for submission date
Format: Follow MLA guidelines for line spacing, margins, headers, page numbering, and documentation of sources. Your paper must be typed using a font no larger than 12 point.
Audience: Your peers, instructor, and other college-educated readers
Key 305W Outcomes Met with This Assignment
- Analyze the details of a wide variety of writing situations (textual elements such as tone, evidence, organizational patterns, diction, even visuals) according to the author’s purpose as well as the audience’s needs and tastes
- Respond effectively in writing to issues and arguments raised in a variety of disciplinary, popular, and professional texts and/or contexts
- Actively read texts using a variety of reading strategies such as annotation, visual organizers, questioning, and discussion
- Identify how a writer uses rhetorical strategies in various genres of writing
- Interpret, analyze, and evaluate demanding texts
- Apply critical thinking skills and reading strategies to evaluate their own writing and the writing of fellow students
- Reflect on their own progress as a working writer in relation to critical thinking and reading strategies
- Develop flexible strategies for creating, revising, and editing texts
- Critique their own and others’ texts
- Write with an awareness of audience and purpose
- Identify how discourse communities employ particular strategies for conveying, researching, evaluating, and presenting information
- Analyze and choose the appropriate conventions for a range of audience expectations
- Integrate a variety of appropriate sources into their writings in a way that accurately reflects the writer’s meaning and purpose
- Document sources appropriately
- Sustain reasonable correctness in grammar and mechanics to perform well in a variety of writing contexts and professional settings
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively to achieve defined goals
- Respect the diverse points of view that characterize our multi-cultural classroom community
- Critically analyze a variety of texts produced for public and individual readers
- Participate confidently in public discussion on issues of importance to the workplace and the community
- Address issues in writing
Requirements: | .doc file | MLA | Analytical Review | 5 pages, Times New Roman Size 12 Font Double-spaced
Do you have a similar assignment and would want someone to complete it for you? Click on the ORDER NOW option to get instant services at essayloop.com
Do you have a similar assignment and would want someone to complete it for you? Click on the ORDER NOW option to get instant services at essayloop.com. We assure you of a well written and plagiarism free papers delivered within your specified deadline.