I’m trying to study for my Political Science course and I need some help to understand this question.
Question: As we wrap up our study of Mill, here are some “thought problems” for you to consider. Does Mill provide us with answers to these problems? Or, does he simply provide a method for arriving at answers? Could followers of Mill disagree on these issues? Is this emphasis on individual liberty at all productive in our current crisis?
Pick Five of the 7 Questions and Go In Depth.
Source Material: Text: Cohen and Fermon Princeton Readings in Political Thought.
Any other material aside from the text and associated lecture notes will result in heavy penalties. (Lecture Notes, Reading Guide, and seven questions are attached to this.
Read each question carefully before you choose which two that you are going to answer. Pay careful attention to what the question is actually asking you to do. Demonstrate your knowledge of the subject by going into depth and detail. Be sure to provide specific examples to support your conclusions.
Problems of Liberty: Is Mill Any Help?
1. Under what conditions, if any should governments be able to restrict the advocacy of violence? Should individuals have the right to advocate overthrow of the existing government through force and violence? Should government allow speech that advocates terrorism?
2. Should a computer company be able to fire its celebrity spokesperson because she has become an outspoken advocate for animal rights?
3. Joe is outraged because a football player kneels during the national anthem. Joe is also outraged that fans are not allowed to smoke in the stadium. He is also angry that the law requires him to wear a seatbelt when is driving a car and also requires him to wear a helmet when he is riding his motorcycle. He also opposed most forms of gun control. Is Joe inconsistent?
4. Lisa(Joeʼs ex girlfriend) supports the right of the football player to take a knee during the anthem. She supports restrictions on smoking in public places. She also supports laws requiring drivers to use seat belts and laws that require motorcyclists to wear helmets. She supports gun control. Recently, she took part in a demonstration protesting Sean Hannity speaking at her college. Is Lisa being inconsistent?
5. Bob is a baker who also decorates custom wedding cakes for his customers. Recently he refused to decorate a cake for the wedding of two men. Should he have the right to do so?
6. A proposed local ordinance would ban people attending marches, rallies, protests and other political events from bringing objects that could be used to inflict bodily harm on others. Objects that would be banned include the following: firearms, knives, clubs(or objects that could be used as clubs), glass bottles, metal containers and rocks. Opponents of the ordinance say that is would infringe on freedom of speech and assembly. Supporters argue that it would ensure that peaceful protest remain peaceful. What do you think?
7. While a majority of American support social distancing regulations imposed by state and local governments, a vocal minority argue that these regulations infringe on their liberty. Can Millʼs philosophy resolve this conflict?
Suggested Length: Be sure to double space. Be sure to include a (1) A clear introduction that addresses directly the question posed by the instructor. A body of factual examples that support your thesis; these examples may be drawn from either the assigned readings and lecture notes. A coherent paragraph structure that highlights your main points. (These questions must be well-written. Teacher is a District Attorney and grades extremely hard). Should be approximately 400+ words in length for each respective question.
Do you have a similar assignment and would want someone to complete it for you? Click on the ORDER NOW option to get instant services at essayloop.com
Do you have a similar assignment and would want someone to complete it for you? Click on the ORDER NOW option to get instant services at essayloop.com. We assure you of a well written and plagiarism free papers delivered within your specified deadline.